The Fosamed Master
Are you ready to become a FoSaMed student?
The main result of the FoSaMed project is a new Master’s Degree on Food Safety.
Master students will be taught advanced and integrated multidisciplinary approaches and methodologies and will be expected to be able to further develop their knowledge, as well as problem-solving directed skills.
The new Master will have a modular structure and will be implemented in the four Moroccan partner universities, each of them being responsible for specific modules in the second year.
Each of the four Moroccan HEI partners will be equipped with modern food safety labs to ensure hand-on sessions and practical activities. In order to grant to the country a higher coverage of skills, each University will specialize in one field and these labs with be equipped along with this specialization. These new food safety labs will be intensively used both for teaching and learning (by teachers and students), as well as for research and possible extension activities and services to the local communities (by researchers).
The teaching units have been established considering the national needs of Morocco in the field of food safety, including scientific research and the training of qualified professionals capable of strengthening the agri-food sector.
The teaching of fundamental concepts is accompanied by the learning of methodological tools, laboratory training, the presentation of current research issues and applications in the chosen specialities.
The Master lasts two-years (4 semesters) and offers frontal lessons, hands-on practical lessons in newly installed food safety labs, online courses on the project’s e-learning space and a final internship to experience a real “labour world” opportunity where to challenge the new skills developed.
The Master includes a first year with a common curricular plan in the 4 HEIs, which will cover the following subjects: Food Chemistry, Food Microbiology, Laboratory Biosafety, Food Analysis Methods, Applied Statistics, Technical English, Food Toxicology, Unit Operations in Food Processing, Food Safety and Quality Management, Food Safety and Hygiene, Food Legislation, Human Nutrition and Health.
The second year is a specialisation year, with each of the Moroccan HEIs having a distinct specialisation:
- Milk and dairy products – IAV;
- Fruits and Vegetables – IBN;
- Olive Tree Products – ENA;
- Local Agri-Food Products – UMP.
The Master also includes a period of internship and the writing of an internship memoir or thesis (Projet de Fin d’Etudes).
At the end of the Master students obtain 120 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System).
The project pursues the general objective of capacity building in the higher education sector in Morocco, ensuring that high quality educational programmes meet the professional needs of employers in the socio-economic sector of the country.
The aim of this Master’s degree is to enable graduates to enter working life after obtaining their diplomas, particularly in the following sectors:
- Scientific research in the field of food safety in university laboratories and public and private organisations;
- Food safety services in agri-food companies;
- Creation of their own companies (start-ups).
Objectives of the Master
The main objective of the Master is to deepen and strengthen the knowledge and skills acquired by students during their training in Agricultural and Agri-food engineering or in basic Bachelor’s degrees in Biology, Life Sciences, Agronomy, and Veterinary Medicine, in order to:
- prepare them to become responsible actors who will participate in the development of the agri-food sector in Morocco and internationally;
- strengthen their contribution to meeting the challenges imposed by the current economic situation and national and international regulatory standards in terms of food safety assurance.
The students should have acquired, at the end of the course, the knowledge, and methodologies to apply for doctoral studies in a food safety related discipline or to be directly operational in food companies or public and private organisations in the field of food safety and quality control.
The general objectives of the Master are:
- To train senior managers who master the different scientific approaches to food safety;
- To design and make available to research laboratories and companies a sustainable and efficient training model to deal specifically with food safety issues;
- To involve students in food safety issues at local, national and international levels.
- To acquire the basic knowledge to analyse, diagnose and manage food safety problems;
- To acquire the basic knowledge to ensure a good valorisation of agri-food products;
- To acquire the expertise, skills and tools necessary to solve the above-mentioned problems.
This project has been funded with support from the European Union. This website reflects the view only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein. The project number is 618518-EPP-T-2020-1-PT-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP